Greenhouse Gardening 101

Leave a Comment

Gather around Green Thumbs and Nature Rookies


I grew up in a rural neighborhood community on the south end of Whidbey Island. Our house was the only one that had trees surrounding it. Wind through the brush, wind chimes and owls is all I would hear at night. Our yard was always thriving with rosemary, Japanese maple trees and ferns all along a pathway to the backyard, where grape vines crawled up a trellis. My Mom is still to this day Mother Nature's reincarnate. She cultivated so much beauty out of our little yard and greenhouse. If our neighbors were on holiday, she would be there as plant/pet sitter.




For most of my childhood we had a greenhouse in our front yard that held numerous herbs and few leafy vegetables. I have been over to my neighbor's place countless times with my mom to water the rows of sprouting succulents to showering fresh rhubarb, kale and lettuce. 

Cultivating a green house can be fun and challenging. I live the urban city life now, but I wonder if I had backyard large enough... could I put it to good use? I came across an article that can give aspiring green thumbs some pointers: 5 Things to Consider Before Investing in a Greenhouse. If you have the space and supplies, gardening is a relaxing way to be active and fine solace in your own backyard. 

Greenhouse Perks:

-Fresh vegetables (I was spoiled with fresh veggies: sorrel, lettuce, spinach, zucchini, pumpkin, etc)
-Tropical or exotic plants that need heat (cactus!)
-Gardening time through MOST seasons
-Mostly pest and rodent free
-Have a space of your own to unwind and be in nature

The greenhouse I once knew has come and gone, but I hope that homeowners that have the space will get inspired and grow beautiful and edible things!



SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

PROFESSIONAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig