Farewell, Starman

Leave a Comment

Ashes to ashes, stardust to stardust



All it took was a little scroll through social media to see the endless posts of Bowie memories individuals had shared, retweeted, reblogged and originally composed. Abrupt start to the day to say the least. What a legend in music and style...


MY lasting memory was being on a school bus in my sophomore year of high school with all my bandmates. We were going or coming from one of our tournaments and my best girl friends were all listening to "Magic Dance" from Labyrinth over and over again. That was my first memory of listening to David Bowie.

Photo: Labyrinth. Look at this guy. I mean, damn, the guy can wear makeup, skin tight pants, leather boots and it's NOT wearing him.

I grew up a Beatles girl, musicals, Queen later on and eventually Bowie came into the mix. My first album of his that I listened all the way through to was Aladdin Sane (or, a lad insane) I had gotten from my brother. I immediately fell in love with "Drive-In Saturday", which had a faint nostalgic romance bop sound to it.. and growing up with early Beatles and Grease, it remains one of my favorites, among "Prettiest Star", "Time", "Oh, You Pretty Things", "Fame","Fashion"and "Life on Mars." At the ripe young age of 17, I dated a guy briefly whom I thought resembled the icon in the Thin White Duke days. Wishful thinking.

David Bowie remains today to be iconic in his style, musical storytelling and a mysterious voyager. His life progression through his many personas is one of my inspirations for how our adventurer duo Coco Flamingo and Pineapple Stu came about. 

So, wherever you may be, Starman...

"Keep your 'lectric eye on me babe.
Put your ray gun to my head
Press your space face close to mine, love.
Freak out in a moonage daydream, oh yeah." 





SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

PROFESSIONAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig